Therapy for Transgender Issues
The first step for an individual considering transitioning is typically finding a trans friendly counselor who will be your advocate in writing your letter for hormone therapy (i.e, HRT). Obviously here at ARYA, I’m passionate about that, but there are a few other great clinicians in the area (and beyond) too. It’s important to find a therapist you feel comfortable with as it can feel very vulnerable to open up and talk about your own story.
Once you’ve started your therapy process, and are ready for your letter of referral to an Endocrinologist, you will likely need lab work to make sure your liver and other organs involved in the production and processing of hormones can handle HRT. Just like with therapists, you want to find physicians who know what they’re talking about and put you at ease when you’re in their presence.
- Dr. Zoltan Erdos for GP (Pensacola)
- Dr. Hillary Hultstrand for GP (Pensacola)
- Dr. Huey McDaniel for Endocrinology (Mobile)
- Dr. Vishnu Behari for Endocrinology (Pensacola)
Health Care Coverage
Transgender individuals have important details to consider when seeking health insurance coverage. If you’re shopping for plans in the Marketplace or with your employer, make sure to ask questions about office visits, mental health care, specialists such as Endocrinology, prescription coverage for your HRT and more.
- A Legal Guide for Trans People and Their Advocates
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- Transgender Law Center
- Lambda Legal
- Standards of Care, V7 Full Book (WPATH’s guidelines for clinicians working with Trans people)
- Everything you need to know about changing your name and gender marker on your important documents in FL
Thinking about going back to school? You might want to consider looking into whether or not a college or university has a proven track record for being LGBTQ friendly. From inclusion policies to a campus pride index, scholarships and more, there’s plenty of options out there to help you make the right choice for you or your loved one.
- Resources and Expert Advice for LGBTQ College Students
- LGBTQ Friendly Colleges & Student Resources
- Resources for Transgender College Students
- Where to find help & services as a trans student on campus
- College Scholarships for LGBTQ Students
It’s all too easy to feel alone and overwhelmed. Never under estimate the value in having others like you who may be further along in their transition process who can cheer you on, share their own experiences, and recommend new avenues to explore. If you’re worried about confidentiality, look for closed groups on FB and other social media sites and consider creating a separate profile under a pen name with an avatar for a photo so anyone you don’t want to know won’t be able to tell that it’s you.
- Gulf Coast Transgender Alliance
- STRIVE Social Trans Initiative
- Transgender American Veterans Association
Laser Hair Removal
If you’re a trans woman, you may be interested in laser hair removal. Check Groupon for packages and ask around or call the office you’re considering anonymously and inquire if they’ve worked with transgender individuals before.
- East Hill Laser & Aesthetics (Pensacola)
Media & More Info
- The Gender Revolution (documentary) on Netflix or Amazon
- Conversations with a Gender Therapist
- “You and Your Gender Identity: A Guide to Discovery” by Dara Hoffman-Fox
- Trans Women + Sex = Awesome!
- Gender Identity & Gender Confusion in Children
- CNN: Transgender kids – Painful quest to be who they are
- 2014 Study on transgender individuals and suicide attempts
- Her Story (6 episode series that looks inside the dating lives of trans and queer women as they navigate the intersections of desire and identity)
- Am I the only transgender person sick of transitioning?
- Jazz Jennings (YouTube Channel for MTF young woman)
- FTM Magazine (for Trans Men)
- Original Plumbing (for Trans Men)
- Loren Rex Cameron’s journey (for Trans Men)