Sacred Psychology: Season 3 Episode 1 with Jamie Sorenson
In this podversation:
- Why Jamie chose the Navy and then the field of psychiatric nursing
- Is there stigma around mental health in the military?
- How Jamie uses education to normalize common issues her service members face
- Exploring the 87% reduction in unplanned losses Jamie has helped bring about in her squadron
- Key issues military members face
- “Pain is what helps us grow.”
- What should mental health workers know about working with military members?
- The Give An Hour program and other resources
- Why Jamie chose to write the book and also why she included LGBTQ issues
- The harm of reparative therapy for same sex attractions
- Finding social support for everyone from Mormons to Satanists and everything in between
- The intersection between spirituality and mental health
Click player to listen:
Be the first to hear new episodes of Sacred Psychology:
Or copy RSS feed into any podcast player:
Meet LCDR Jamie Sorenson
Jamie is a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner who is currently serving as the embedded Mental Health Provider at Command Submarine Squadron 11 out in San Diego CA, providing mental health treatment, education, consultation and much more to all the of sailors and submariners attached to that division.
Her awards include the Navy-Marine Corp Commendation Medal, Joint Service Achievement Medal, & the Navy Achievement Medal with one gold star. She also was also honored as the Psychiatric Advanced Practice Mental Health Nurse of the Year in 2013 by San Diego Psychiatric Nursing Society.
She wrote & published the book “Why You Tried to Kill Yourself” in 2017.
As if that weren’t enough, Jamie has completed over 80 whole/half marathons! She’s an avid traveler and animal lover.
Meet Tamara Powell
Tamara Powell, LMHC is a licensed therapist, university psychology instructor, and soul mentor for non-conformists. She is also a reiki master teacher known for integrating science and mysticism.
With specializations designed to quell existential angst and provoke the highest potential in each woman to achieve her true soul purpose, Tamara is passionate about holding sacred space for misfits and mystics.
If you’re interested in working with her, you can learn more about her services here.
Sound Editing provided by Pete Bailey: http://petebailey.net/audio/