Sacred Psychology: Episode 48 with Olivia James
In this podversation:
- What is the Spoon Theory and how it applies to all of us
- The many sides of Autism
- The importance of getting a proper diagnosis
- Why the world needs BOTH awareness and acceptance; “acceptance relies upon awareness“
- “Sometimes activism needs to be pragmatic rather than idealistic.”
- Unpacking what asexuality is and is not
- “Labels are as useful as you make them.”
- “Replace ‘being politically correct’ with ‘being kind and respectful’.”
- How to get started with advocacy
- “The best thing to do with your biases is to own them”
- Why Olivia is NOT a social justice warrior but rather a social justice cleric
- How studying philosophy in college made Olivia depressed and how she came to turn that around
- The Super Serious Social Justice podcast
Click player to listen:
Be the first to hear new episodes of Sacred Psychology:
Or copy RSS feed into any podcast player:
Meet Olivia James
Olivia is an autistic, asexual goofball who loves octopuses, cats, and rock climbing. Born and raised in the great Midwest, she went to school at a small liberal arts college and in the process discovered that too much philosophy makes her depressed.
She kicked the ass of an eating disorder, adopted some kittens, and found her true calling as a marketer in a local nonprofit (while writing, podcasting, and planning a wedding on the side). When not working too much, Olivia can be found on bullet journal websites, listening to far too many podcasts, or playing a great deal of Dungeons and Dragons.
Connect with her further:
Meet Tamara Powell
Tamara Powell, LMHC is a licensed therapist, university psychology instructor, and empowerment coach who believes life should be lived as a journey that is “anything but ordinary.”
Her work is specialized to help individuals break free from toxic cycles of distress, dysfunction, and dissatisfaction with life that are created when trying to live according to someone else’s rules. Only by living what she calls radical autonomy, can one obtain soul nourishing relationships and a sense of true life purpose and inner peace.
If you’re interested in working with her, either in person or online, you can learn more about her services here.
Sound Editing provided by Pete Bailey: http://petebailey.net/audio/