Sacred Psychology: Season 4 Episode 2 with Amanda Laird
In this podversation:
- How Amanda got into the field of reproductive health and menstruation more specifically
- Tracing the red thread all the way into social justice
- Toronto’s inaugural Menstrual Hygiene Day and some of the shocking pushback
- The far reaching implications and effects of not having access to menstrual supplies
- Nevada’s seeking to abolish sales tax on menstrual products
- Where does the shame and stigma around menstruation even start?
- Why are menstrual supplies not included in required list of public restroom supplies
- Sex education needs to go beyond “Don’t get pregnant” and “Don’t get AIDS.”
- Explaining some of the changes like mood swings in a normal menstrual cycle
- Breaking the curse of menstruation in part through agency
- Culture’s devaluing of body literacy (the gyno ghetto)
- Should our first go-to for menstrual issues be hormonal birth control pills etc.?
- Post Birth Control Syndrome
- “Sweetening the Pill or How We Got Hooked on the Pill” by Holly Grigg-Spall
- Exploring nutrition for hormonal health, especially anything that causes inflammation
- The role stress plays in menstrual issues
- Going beyond the cisgender binary
- “Is it your period that makes you a woman??”
Click player to listen:
Be the first to hear new episodes of Sacred Psychology:
Or copy RSS feed into any podcast player:
Meet Amanda Laird
Amanda Laird is a feminist holistic nutritionist specializing in menstrual health. She helps people understand their menstrual cycles and have better periods without defaulting to hormonal birth control., Amanda is also the host of the Heavy Flow Podcast and author of Heavy Flow: Breaking the Curse of Menstruation, which comes out really soon so you’re gonna want to get on the list for pre-orders.
She says her mission is to break the supposed curse of menstruation so you can:
• Have a shame-free, painless period
• Understand your menstrual cycle and have agency over your own body
• Make truly informed decisions about sex, birth control and your health
Connect with Amanda further:
Meet Tamara Powell
Tamara Powell, LMHC is a licensed therapist, university psychology instructor, and soul mentor for non-conformists. She is also a reiki master teacher known for integrating science and mysticism.
With specializations designed to quell existential angst and provoke the highest potential in each individual to achieve their true soul purpose, Tamara is passionate about holding sacred space for misfits and mystics.
If you’re interested in working with her, you can learn more about her services here.
Sound Editing provided by Pete Bailey: http://petebailey.net/audio/